Students of divorced parents share holidays

Google Images

A spouse is giving their wedding band back to their ex partner.

Haylea Smith, Staff Reporter

For many families, the holidays can be stressful and adding separation or divorce to the mix can make things even harder. Children may be especially sensitive during this time, some families may decide to split Christmas so both parents can have equal time with their children.

For example, sophomore Jaden Sones and freshman Miranda Sones are two siblings who must split the holiday with parents.

“Usually, it swaps every other year so one is with my mom, and we’ll spend Thanksgiving with my dad,” Jaden said.

While both siblings’ thoughts on the routine are similar they both have different opinions on how the divided holidays affected them when they were younger. 

“Whenever I was younger it was kind of hard to get used to, but after a while you just get used to it,” Jaden said. 

“I like it now, and I liked it when I was younger because I got more presents,” Miranda said. 

However for some families this schedule is not a sensible. Freshman Racheal McDaniel spends the holidays with her grandparents and spends every other Christmas with her mom.               Having two siblings and living with her grandparents, it makes it difficult for them to all be in the same place on the holidays. 

“I live with my grandparents and they live with my dad so it kind of makes it hard,” McDaniel said.  

Although the routine can make it more difficult, McDaniel does enjoy some aspects of it.

“I like how I get to see things away from Mississippi every other Christmas,” McDaniel said. 

No matter how you spend Christmas, family is what’s important.