COVID numbers experience downfall

Teacher+keeps+mask+sign+up+throughout+2021+school+year.+

Grace L. Morgan

Teacher keeps mask sign up throughout 2021 school year.

Libbie Kate Slay

After a two-week quarantine in August, George County High School has rebounded and been on a decrease of positive COVID cases. 

New district Covid derector, Jodi Sumrall, states that numbers are fortunately decreasing. GCHS only has a few students quarantined. These quarantines are only due to a personal positive case or a household member positive. 

“Most of the cases are unvaccinated, but I’m sure it’s because it hasn’t been approved for a certain age group yet,” Sumrall said. 

After the two-week school wide quarantine, the district changed the district’s  policies. A student  has to be quarantined for ten days unless a doctor says otherwise. If a student has in school contact they  are required to do a temperature check in the morning and at lunch until they come out of quarantine. 

“Since the new policies have been enforced, I have definitely seen a downfall in cases, and the exposure rate is down,” Sumrall said. 

Only about 43 percent of Mississippians and 12 percent of the U.S. population have tested positive over the course of the virus. 

The George Regional Health system Chief executive officer Greg Havard said only two COVID-19 patients have been hospitalized since September 20. September 24 the high school reported seven students have tested  positive and three quarantined.