Library adds eBooks to collection

GCHS+Library+

Khalyce Griffin

GCHS Library

Khalyce Griffin, Staff Reporter

Students nowadays do not have enough room in their backpacks to carry around books they want to read, now with the introduction of eBooks to the high school library, that’s no longer a problem.

Librarian Kim Ray has received a few new features to her library, which allows students to read eBooks and listen to audiobooks.

“Now, we just got a subscription to some eBooks that are provided to us by another vendor, the district has bought that for all of the schools, there’s about 400 eBooks. We’ve never had that many before and about 100 audiobooks,” Ray said.

Along with the eBook and audiobooks, the Destiny Discover website also received a big update.

“[Students] are able to see some of the books that have just been added to the library under the recently added section. There’s a section on popular titles to see what other students are reading to get some ideas,” Ray said.

However, most still do not know the basic functions of the library. For example, some students do not know when they can and cannot use the cafe.

“There are computer labs available if they need to do any research or to print any assignments. A lot of students are confused when they can use the cafe. That’s not something they can just come in between classes and use the only way they can use the cafe is if the teacher and the class come as a group,” Ray said.

Many English teachers are in rotation to take turns using the library, including English teachers Chloe’ McMillian and Theresa VanVleck. McMillan has a positive attitude towards the library and its features. 

“I use a lot of PR books, Ms. Ray has always been incredibly accommodating for that, she’s always gone above and beyond to try and get my kids connected to books that they like, and as far as resources she has a ton of resources that we would never know of if it wasn’t for her,” McMillian said. 

VanVleck also values Ray’s library and her services. 

“Ms. Ray is an invaluable resource for all students here at George County High School, you can always go to her for any technology issues you may have, as well as checking out all of the books she has in [the library],” VanVleck said.

If students want to access the audiobooks first, they must go to the highschool’s school website next, scroll and click on GCHS Library then, click audible stories or free audiobooks. There is  no fee charged to students nor teachers.