Sports Briefs

Gavin Bradley, Staff Reporter

With spring sports around the corner, golf, powerlifting, tennis and track finish their final preparations. This year they all have high hopes for the season.

Golf

Last year the Rebel Golf team finished with an average of 2nd and 3rd place. They have five tournaments and their season starts on Feb 13. 

Coach John Glass believes that they are ready for this year.

“ I think we are pretty well prepared. We have two returning seniors, a returning sophomore so we have pretty good experience,” Coach Glass said. 

Powerlifting

Coach Kenneth Burns and his Powerlifting team have been practicing for this season which has already begun.

Last year, three people, Senior Sam O’Neal, 2022 Graduate Tyler Middleton and Junior Victoria Clayton qualified for state. 

“ Sam O’Neal is our 220 pound, 220 class state champion, and so this year he looks to defend his title. And he has a really good shot of doing that, ” Coach Burns said.

Last Friday, the powerlifting teams went to Gautier for their Region 4-5A . Freshman Haley Stringer won second place in the 148 pound class, Victoria Clayton won second place in the 181 pound class, Junior Keri Henderson won second place in the 198 pound class, and Sophomore Valeciah Cook won third place in the 242+ class.

Tennis

Last year the Rebel Tennis team had a few players qualify for state. The team was senior heavy so they are trying to get more players to compete.

Coach Murray Cowart feels that all of their practice will pay off.

“I think it’s coming along. We have one problem, I have a lot of athletes playing soccer and basketball and both of those sports are doing really well right now so they’re in district play. It means that these guys will have to come later to catch up,” Coach Cowart said.  

Their first district match is at Petal on Feb 13.

Track

Track is revving up its season this year and it starts on Feb 16 at Biloxi High School.

Last year two people placed for track, Sophomore Caleb Tart for fourth place pole vault, and Senior Beautyful Humphrey for second place high jump. The team has around 75 people returning from last year. 

Coach Micheal Warren thinks they can do better this year.

“ We got a lot of really young talent. Most of the girls we took to the south state last year were eighth and ninth last year so they are ninth and tenth this year. I think that there is some good potential,” Coach Warren said.

He is confident that the boys team will be strongest in team events.