Sports Briefs

Gavin Bradley, Staff Reporter

Powerlifting

The Rebel and Lady Rebel Powerlifting teams started off strong this year with several of their team members placing  above third place at their first competition.

The teams went to Gautier for their Region 4-5A competition. Senior Sam O’Neal made first place in the 600 pound class, Freshman Haley Stringer made second place in the 148 pound class, Junior Victoria Clayton made second place in the 181 pound class, Junior Keri Henderson made second place in the 198 pound class, and Sophomore Valencia Cook made third place in the 242 pound class.

Senior Sam O’Neal is the defending state champion, but he feels like he could have done better.

“ I wasn’t as strong as I hoped and my max could’ve been a little bit better. My form could have been a little bit better,” O’Neal said.

His expectations for this season are 600 plus for his deadlift, and 365 for his bench, while his stats are 365 for his bench and 525 for his deadlift.

Another student looking to excel in powerlifting is junior Victoria Clayton.

Through training and confidence, she thinks she will make huge improvements this year. Last year, she made it all the way to state. Clayton looks forward to succeeding in the 181 class.

“ My weight goal is 300 pounds in deadlift and made 135 at state,” Clayton said.

The Rebel and Lady Rebels will travel to Gulfport for their South State Championship. The Lady Rebels compete March 3 and the Rebels compete March 11.

Tennis and Golf

Tennis got off to a good start this year. Their next match is at Wayne County next Thursday, Feb. 23.

Golf did well and placed fifth out of 12  at Whispering Pines in Hurley. Joshua Glass was named to the All-Tournament team.

Don’t forget to come out Saturday night at 6 p.m. to support the Rebel basketball as they take on Florence in the second round of the state playoffs.