Students’ take on social distancing

Freshmen take on the responsibility of wearing a mask.

Jia Hearndon, Staff Reporter

Over six months ago, COVID-19 hit the nation abruptly causing social distancing to become the norm.  

Lockdown set highly restricted standards in place that many are still practicing but may have relaxed on.

Staying indoors, washing hands, and staying six feet apart have kept many from catching the deadly virus.

Students have been taking advantage of their time at home and possibly reflecting on their lives. 

Freshman Boston Eubanks has been reflecting since the early school release in March following the first COVID case. Staying home has given him time to take a step back and reflect on life choices. As a result of that, he has taken on a job because he feels that, “when you’re younger you get a better experience.” 

Social media has also been an important factor in keeping people distanced but still in touch. Social platforms such as Snapchat and Facebook have kept many in contact with each other. Facetime apps have also helped people engage in virtual conversations, concerts and other events usually attended by large numbers of people.

Also, Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ and other movie apps have given many people access to another world of dragons, princesses and galaxies far, far away. Students have a list of popular shows that many may want to see such as “Vampire Diaries,” “The Office,” and “Orange is the New Black.”

Because many are staying inside, people are starting to try new things. Junior Christina Harder learned how to cook eggs in a microwave and ended up dying her hair purple. 

“My mom wouldn’t let me leave the house so it was really boring,” Harder said. 

Going outside is another way many students passed the time. Junior Hayley Griffin has gone “mud bogging.” Griffin explained that mud bogging involves driving four wheelers in circles within a mud pit as a fun way to pass the time.

Students have become creative when trying to pass the time. Sophomore Skyler Bourn loves to draw in his free time. He actually learned to airbrush. Bourn decided to start keeping a journal of daily events in the middle of quarantine.

Although many have seen quarantine as the time where they gained a lot of weight, others see it as the time to begin a fitness journey. Many students have decided to begin working out or, like Skyler Bourn, have decided to run. Bourn runs about four miles a day. He says he is just trying to push himself even farther. 

COVID has thrown a curveball at many people and they have had to adapt to the changes that come with. Students suggest making time for self and possibly trying something new.