McCardle strives for a normal school year

Liliana M. Fresolone, Staff Reporter

“ The Lord is with you every step of the way,” junior Chandler McCardle said.

In April of 2021, McCardle and his family received the news that he had leukemia. He was only 15 years old. He had two distinct types of leukemia; he had both acute lymphoblastic leukemia and chronic myeloid leukemia.   For almost one year, McCardle battled leukemia.

Within that year, he visited at least two hospitals. He was admitted to Women’s and Children’s Hospital in Mobile, soon after being diagnosed. There, he was treated using chemotherapy, which is a form of treatment for cancer. He then moved to a hospital in Birmingham, where he spent the next five to six months.

McCardle was a virtual learner for the entirety of 10th grade and claims he did not feel like he was learning anything. Now, he is 16 years old in the 11th grade and he seems to be enjoying regular school life. He says returning to school feels great, and he feels that he is learning more now.

“ I lost a year, but I still have two to make up for what I missed,” McCardle said.

While McCardle was in the hospital and receiving treatment, he was missing out on a lot. He missed hanging out with his buddies and going and doing things.

McCardle used to be a football player, and it is a sport he loves. Though he misses being able to play on the field with his team, McCardle enjoys being able to sit in the student section and participate in that aspect of the game. He makes the most of what he is able to do.

“ Enjoy what you got and live life to the fullest,” McCardle said.