COVID continues into flu season

Alyssa Holland, Staff Reporter

With the flu season just around the corner, many Americans are concerned about differentiating COVID-19 and the flu.

Both the flu and COVID are highly contagious respiratory illnesses. Similarities between them are fever, chills, body aches and sinus congestion. Some main differences are shortness of breath, and loss of smell and taste. 

The flu and COVID both spread through droplets in the air from when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks. COVID-19 and the flu can also spread from person to person contact or surface contact. A difference in the way they spread is that COVID targets certain age groups, specifically people over 65 years old. 

“I think the flu will continue to spread, but with the mask and social distancing flu numbers will be down,” school nurse Jodi Sumrall said.  

Social distancing and wearing a mask is helping slow the spread of the novel coronavirus. Masks not only help keep individuals safe but can also help keep others around them safe. Masks should be properly worn by covering the mouth and nose for the best effect.  

“ If you are not able to social distance you should be wearing a mask, or if you are in a close indoor environment you should be wearing a mask,” Sumrall said.

At the beginning of the year junior Katy Beth Holmes, contracted and recovered from the coronavirus. 

Holmes was perfectly fine the day she came to school, but as the day went on she developed an excruciating migraine. At the time she was unaware of what she may have caught.  Later she developed chills, a fever and difficulty breathing. Holmes got tested the following day and was positive for coronavirus. According to Holmes, she had a feeling she may have contracted COVID-19.   

COVID-19 has personally affected Holmes in many ways. Physically she is still having some sinus problems and she also lost around 10 lbs. while having the virus. She is also still having a difficult time doing cheer.

Holmes’ symptoms lasted for four to five days, but it took about a week for them to appear. One of her biggest fears while having COVID-19 was when she would fall asleep she would stop breathing. She stayed isolated in her room and, no one else in her family got it. 

Not only has she experienced the coronavirus, but she has also experienced the flu.

“Corona was worse than the flu, but it did not affect me as bad as I thought,” Holmes said.

Freshman Gabriel Chapell has also had the flu in the past and his symptoms were very similar to COVID-19 symptoms. He had sinus drainage, major headache, chills, fatigue and aches. 

“The flu is bad for a while, but you eventually get over it,’ Chapell said.

Another person who has had the flu in the past is senior Destiny Howell, and she had symptoms of aches, fever and trouble talking. During her experience with the flu, Howell said she felt terrible. 

Ways individuals can help protect themselves and others during this flu season are by social distancing, properly wearing a mask, staying home if you’re sick or exposed, and consistently washing their hands or using hand sanitizer.