Memories of a “White Christmas”

Olivia Wachsman, Executive Editor

Every Christmas native Mississippians sit sweating in front of their fireplaces while listening to Bing Crosby croon of a “White Christmas.” Their dreams of having a “White Christmas” of their own are empty. For students who grew up in other areas, however, a snowy Christmas remains a fond memory. 

Junior Ryan Carver, who grew up in Cleveland, Ohio, remembers past Christmases spent playing in the snow. Since moving to Mississippi, Carver traded having snowball fights with friends for spending a relaxing day soaking up the sun at the beach. 

“Even though I can’t play in the snow anymore, I really like being able to go to the beach where it’s warm during Christmas break,” Carver said. 

Carver has even come to prefer a Christmas spent poolside to a snow-filled Christmas in Ohio.

Freshman Garrett Collette, a Florida native, likes to travel to different places each holiday season. Collette mainly likes to vacation in cities where a snowy climate allows him to enjoy his favorite winter activity: skiing. 

“I really like to go where it snows because it just feels more like Christmas,” Collette said.

While traveling, Collette also likes to take time to visit family members who live in different parts of the country. From North Carolina to Oregon, Collette has made Christmas memories throughout the United States. 

Like Collette, junior Fernando Marquez also prefers a white Christmas. After moving to Mississippi from New Jersey his freshman year, Marquez found himself longing for a snowy Christmas as he contemplated the hot and humid Mississippi weather. Marquez still likes to return to New Jersey as often as he can, especially around the holiday season.

One of Marquez’s fondest memories is watching the snow fall from his window, something he is typically unable to do in South Mississippi. 

Marquez does note that one perk of living in Mississippi during the holidays is being able to relax outside and enjoy the temperate climate without wearing a puffy jacket. 

While Mississippians may rarely enjoy a Christmas with a temperature below sixty degrees, these three students can fondly look back on the snowy Christmases “just like the ones they used to know.”